ello, I am Dr. Louis (Lou) Morello, a San Francisco psychologist and psychotherapist with a specific emphasis on individual psychotherapy. My work is dedicated to helping a person make difficult and challenging changes, reach a more satisfying personal life and maintain a higher level of functioning with oneself and relationally with others.
As a psychologist I evaluate and treat individuals who seek help for depression, anxiety, life dissatisfaction (e.g., in relationships and work), PTSD, Acute Stress Reaction and Relational Trauma (e.g., childhood abuse and emotional neglect). I also have 25+ years of experience treating people who struggle with substance use and who may have a co-occurring depression, anxiety, trauma and/or compulsive behaviors. Sometimes, the problems and emotional themes are difficult to put into words, and instead are embodied and played/acted out in compulsive behaviors (e.g., addictions, emotional eating), and interpersonally. I facilitate in a comfortable manner a person’s ability to notice, observe, and reflect on the experience while regulating emotions (that were once avoided). This process promotes language, a narrative and a working-through integration.
You do not have to be in crisis to be in therapy. You may be interested in personal growth and/or growth as part of long-term recovery. You may be interested in learning about and experiencing more of yourself to rediscover meaning and passion in your life (especially after a loss), and you may want to improve your connection and sense of belonging to others (sometimes to stop distressing interpersonal patterns).
In your search for a therapist it is important that the therapist is experienced, well trained and someone with whom you feel emotionally safe to talk. I also believe that a meaningful portion of the therapist’s current practice should be devoted to the types of problems/concerns you plan to bring to the therapy. Call me and let’s talk. I’ll answer your questions, and we can decide if working together would be a good fit. There is no obligation from the phone consultation. I am also willing to help you find a therapist that fits your specific needs.
Areas of Focus
People see me for many reasons, including but not limited to:
- Anxiety (General free-floating; Social, Specific Phobia)
- PTSD and Relational Trauma (sometimes referred to as Complex PTSD resulting from chronic, enduring parent-child disruption/maltreatment, such as childhood abuse and emotional neglect
- Addiction/Substance Abuse and Dependence
- Breaking the Cycle of Misuse (Harm Reduction and Process towards Abstinence)
- Relapse Prevention
- Long-Term Recovery (a maturational process)
- Co-Occurring Disorders (Depression, Anxiety, Sexual issues or Trauma occurring with Active Substance Misuse)
- Compulsive Enactments (e.g., emotional overeating, sex, porn, somatization, procrastination, avoidance behaviors)
- Codependency/Boundary Issues
- Grief and Loss
- Painful Life Transitions (may involve a relationship, career, health)
- Maladaptive Relational Patterns
- Relationship and Attachment issues
- Interest in Personal Growth and Healing of Shame
Please explore this website to learn more about my practice and me.